Mount Pearl is a small community on the outskirts of St. John’s.
It was actually granted city status in 1988 and has grown to be one of the largest cities in the province with a population of 23,000 in 2016.
Mount Pearl is a St. John’s municipality.
Mount Pearl is its own municipality, with its own self-contained city municipal services such as snow clearing and garbage pickup. It has a mayor, deputy mayor and five councillors.
There are no attractions within Mount Pearl.
Mount Pearl has a full calendar of recreation events, parks and trails, multiple community centres, sport facilities, and is home to the Glacier Arena that hosts a large Christmas craft fair every year. The Annual Frosty Festival is a full week of a variety of activities for every age. All parks and facilities, as well as the Admiralty House Communications Museum, are linked through 60km of beautiful forested walkways.
Mount Pearl is a modern city with no historical background.
A significant portion of the City is situated on land granted to Sir James Pearl in 1829 by the Colonial Secretary in recognition of many years of faithful service to the Crown. In 1830, Commander Pearl built a house upon the most elevated section of his estate and named it Mount Cochrane in honour of then-governor Sir Thomas Cochrane. After the governor left Newfoundland, Pearl renamed the site Mount Pearl.