This is the best day of the year for students, parents, teachers, and school administrative staff! But, we want to remind drivers and parents about the importance of keeping children safe throughout the summer months. Kids will be excited and may not be thinking about their personal safety, so drivers need to be extra cautious in looking for child pedestrians and bicyclists during the summer months.
We have compiled a list of tips for drivers to follow this summer.
• Be alert, especially in residential areas.
• Expect the unexpected. Children may cross the street at the wrong place or suddenly run or ride in front of you.
• Obey all laws. Slow down if there are children along the road or crossing the street. Come to a complete stop at intersections.
• Double-check behind you and around you when backing out of a driveway or parking space.
• Observe carefully when driving around playgrounds and parks.
• Watch for clues; a hockey net or ball in the road or on the sidewalk can mean kids are playing nearby.
• Don’t block crosswalks when stopped at a red light or waiting to make a turn forcing pedestrians to go around you: this could put them in the path of moving traffic.
• Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians.
Parents, please talk to your children about the dangers of being on the road and ways they can protect themselves: for example, tell your children to make eye contact with the driver before they cross, even if the walk signal is on, make sure they always to stop, look and listen before crossing the street. And, teach your children to watch out for cars that are backing up; even the most cautious driver may not be able to spot a small child running behind them.
Together, we can all make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable summer.
This past Saturday, multiple news outlets reported a massive cyber attack infiltrating personal cell phones, mainly iPhones. The attack used […]Read More
Schools out! This is the best day of the year for students, parents, teachers, and school administrative staff! But, we […]Read More
There’s nothing quite like spending the day on your boat with family and friends, whether on a pond or the […]Read More
It’s finally time to open your cabin for the season, but before you enjoy all the perks of having a […]Read More
As your broker, we work for you. We are the intermediary between you and your insurance company; We are fast, […]Read More