When preparing to leave for a vacation, it’s easy to overlook basic home safety precautions. To protect your residence while you’re away and enjoy a worry-free trip, keep in mind the following tips.
Preparing for a Vacation
There are a number of hazards that could affect your home while you’re away, including lightning, theft and flooding. In order to keep your property safe while you’re on vacation, consider the following:
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices.
- Stop the newspaper and mail. For instructions on how to do this, visit the Canada Post’s website.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed while you’re away.
- Have a neighbour keep an eye on your home throughout your trip.
- Avoid leaving your house key outside your home, even if you think it’s in a safe place.
Taking the proper precautions before you go on vacation can make all the difference when it comes to preventing damage to your home. However, accidents can still occur, and it’s important to ensure you have adequate insurance coverage. Contact Munn Insurance to learn more.
- Set timers on inside lights. Install a motion-activated sensor on outdoor floodlights.
- Consider turning off your home’s water.
- Avoid posting photos of your trip on social media until after you return home.
- Set the temperature on your thermostat to the appropriate level. This ensures that you aren’t paying to heat / cool your home while you are away.
Call Munn Insurance today at 1-855-726-8627. We are here to help.