Warning – Insurance Policy Cannot be Confirmed
Yikes. That’s a scary message! Our phones were busy this week. Busier than normal as our customers called to figure out why they were getting an email from the Provincial Government that said “Warning – Insurance Policy Cannot be Confirmed”. No need to panic. We got you covered!!
Here is what you need to know and what you need to do…
This email is part of a new digital insurance validation program launched by the Provincial Government to improve how the province’s Motor Registration Division determines whether a vehicle is covered by mandatory insurance (See Provincial Government News Release — https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2022/dgsnl/1206n03/). This program ensures that a vehicle identification number (VIN) matches the information on file with Motor Registration, providing a secure, effective and convenient digital solution to confirm that motorists have mandatory auto insurance coverage when registered owners annually renew their vehicle registration.
When there is some discrepancy in the information on file, an email is generated. Some of our customers started receiving these emails this week. The emails had the Government of NL and MyGovNL logos at the top and a warning in bold that said “Warning – Insurance Policy Cannot be Confirmed”. If you received this e-mail it is likely because:
- The VIN on file may be incorrect. It could be off by one number because it was entered incorrectly for example.
- You have a vehicle that is being stored for the winter. There is a form that is required so that the system can confirm coverage is being removed while the vehicle is in storage.
The first thing you should do is check to see if the VIN number that they have on file matches the VIN number on your vehicle. The VIN can be found on the door sticker or on the vehicles windshield. If the VIN on your vehicle doesn’t match the VIN on the email, you will have to take a picture of the VIN and upload it via an online form.
The email that was sent provides a link to webpage titled Insurance Requirements (https://www.gov.nl.ca/motorregistration/vehicle-ownership/insurance-requirements/). Click on that link. You will be directed to a Government of NL webpage where you will see another link in a grey bar titled “Submit updated insurance information online”. Click on this link. You will be asked to input:
- Last name
- First name
- Driver’s license
- Phone number(s)
- License plate (will be required a little later)
You will then be asked to select one of three options under the “Details” section:
- Confirm my vehicle is a seasonal vehicle — Once you submit the form with the information above, you will be prompted to confirm that you have a seasonal vehicle by checking a box. Once that is done, you will be asked to review and confirm the VIN and your license plate number that is on file by selecting a button that says “I confirm”.
- Submit correct insurance information (including fleet insurance) — Once you submit the form you will be prompted to upload a letter of confirmation from the insurer or a copy of the pink insurance slip.
- Submit correct VIN information — If the VIN on the email and the VIN on the vehicle do not match, once you submit the form you will be prompted to upload a picture of the VIN on your car. Please call your broker once that is done to confirm that the VIN number is accurate in their system as well to avoid getting this email again in the future.
If you have any additional questions about this, or any other question about your insurance policy, please feel free to send us an email at [email protected] or give us a call at 1-855-726-8627. We are more than happy to help.