Some people use their personal vehicle when performing certain day to day activities of their job. It happens a lot. The question is, are you covered?
Say for example you’re a salesperson driving a lot for business visiting clients, a construction worker driving from job to job, or a baker delivering a wedding cake. In each of these examples, your vehicle is a vital part of your job. Technically, you are using your personal vehicle for commercial use. The question is, if you get into an accident, will you be covered?
While your personal auto insurance will protect you while you are driving to and from work; that may not be the case if you are using the vehicle for business purposes like the examples above. No one wants to add another bill to their monthly expenses. But, no one wants to be left without coverage when they need it the most.
So, back to the question, are you covered? The simple answer is, there is no one answer fits all. So, let us review some scenarios;
- Is your vehicle title in your business name?
- Does your employee drive your vehicle as part of their employment?
- Do you drive your vehicle as part of your job?
- Is your vehicle outfitted with equipment, snowplows, machinery, or tools?
- Do you transport/deliver goods, materials or merchandise as part of your job?
- Do you/your employees conduct company business while driving their personal vehicle?
- Do you transport people in exchange for money?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, we suggest that you phone one of our friendly staff members to review the details of your policy with you. Your personal auto policy may not cover you in these situations. You are at risk of a significant financial loss if you are in an accident with no coverage.
Bonus: Commercial auto insurance is often tax-deductible!
If you would like more information on commercial vehicle insurance, or if you have any questions on your home or auto insurance, please contact Munn Insurance toll free at 1-855-726-8627 today.