1. Contact Us: Long before signs of a hurricane, you should talk to your broker about your insurance coverage in the event of a storm.
2. Refer to Your Emergency Action Plan: Include key contacts and details such as evacuation routes. Communicate the plan with employees early. When an emergency, like a hurricane, occurs, it is essential to have a plan in place to ensure everyone is informed and knows what to do.
3. Protect Yourself and Employees: Your safety is more important than property. In the chaos of worrying about your business, give yourself enough time to get out of harm’s way.
4. Communicate with Suppliers, Vendors, and Partners: Give critical contact info and directions to temporary work sites if needed. If you are expecting to receive a delivery during a hurricane, you may want to consider connecting with your vendors. The health and safety of your staff and those you work with should be your top priority.
5. Determine if a Temporary Facility is Needed: If your facility is critical for your business operations, you should have a backup location. This can help limit business interruption after the storm if a flood or damage occurs.
6. Identify Power Requirements for Buildings: If you anticipate a loss of power, you should prepare in advance, getting flashlights and generators, and if needed, contact your local power company.
7. Determine Security Needs: If you need to leave your business or job site, you need to have a plan in place to ensure it is secure. Camera monitoring, physical security, fencing, or boarding-up windows and doors can protect assets, people, and property.
8. Prepare Your Property: Ensure emergency supplies are in place and fuel tanks are full, cover equipment, protect critical documents, safeguard data systems, and do what you can to secure your property.
9. Update Your Community: Have an external communications plan in place.
10. Track the Weather and Stay Alert: Storms can move fast. Stay updated and stay safe.
In addition to insuring your business, we are committed to helping you stay safe when disaster strikes. Our claims department is open to serve you when you need us the most. To make an emergency insurance claim, please call us at 1-855-726-8627.